Monday, April 14, 2008

Interview: Jamie Kamlet

Jamie Kamlet is a 21-year-old junior at American University from Pelham, New York, majoring in Psychology.







ALLI: Are you registered to vote in New York?
JAMIE: Yes, I am.

A: Have you ever considered changing your voter registration to D.C.?
J: No.

A: Why not?
J: I don't plan on staying here long enough.

A: Does the fact that you would lose voting privileges here influence you in that decision?
J: Yeah, because I don't want to have taxation without representation.

A: Did you vote in the 2006 midterm election?
J: No.

A: So how can you say that you would be losing representation in D.C. if you don't participate in it in New York?
J: If I wanted to participate in it here, I couldn't. I didn't vote in midterm elections because it doesn't affect me as much as if I were a taxpayer or a parent raising a child.

A: If you were to move to D.C. on a more long-term basis, would you change your registration?
J: Yes, because I would care more about local government and I would want to vote on what's happening around me.

No comments: