Monday, April 14, 2008

Interview: Mike Kerman

Mike Kerman is a 20-year-old junior at American University from Getzville, New York, majoring in Law & Society.



ALLI: Are you registered to vote in New York?
MIKE: No.

A: Why not?
M: I was 17 when the last presidential election happened, so I never registered and never really thought about it until now.

A: Are you planning on registering in time for the 2008 presidential election?
M: I've actually kind of registered online and haven't finished. But I definitely will be registered in time.

A: Are you registering within the state of New York?
M: Yeah.

A: Why are you registering in New York and not D.C.?
M: I consider my permanent residence to be New York.

A: Do you consider the loss of voting privileges in D.C. a factor?
M: No, because I don't really participate in local politics. I've never voted in any gubernatorial or local elections in New York. If I changed my registration to D.C. it wouldn't really affect me because I don't vote in local elections.

A: If you were moving to D.C., would you change your registration?
M: Right now even though I only live in New York about two months a year, I still consider that my home address. I guess the point where I'd change it is when I'm not financially dependent on my parents.

A: So if you moved to Florida for a few years you'd change it to Florida?
M: Yeah.

A: And if you moved to D.C. for a few years you'd change it to D.C.?
M: Yes.

No comments: